Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Leave with a smile...

I heard Carolyn died today and I felt sad.   But then I thought of Carolyn and I smiled.  I thought some more and I laughed.   That was Carolyn.   When Carolyn entered the room, everything became brighter and smiles appeared on everyone's face.   She had the heart and soul of an Irishman and the blarney to go with it.  I met Carolyn almost 30 years ago when giving a training class for hospice volunteers.   She and her sister Jean were the modern version of Laurel and Hardy and I was the young, oh so serious, nurse.   Although I tried to give serious lessons to the group, the two of them would invariably have everyone laughing.  Knowing a good thing when I found it, I put them in charge of volunteers.    Over the years, we all went through many life changes but I could always find Carolyn with a smile.   Each time I chatted on the phone with Carolyn we ended our conversations with Good night and God bless and of course, love you.   For along with smiles and laughter, Carolyn exuded love.   She encompassed everyone within reach into her world of love and laughter.  Life was a party and she was the hostess.    Although Carolyn has gone on to meet her beloved sister Jean and her soulmate and husband Hank, she will not soon be forgotten.   For Carolyn has indeed left us smiling...

1 comment: